- The ministries of our church primarily take on two focuses. As individual Christians and as a local body of Believers (a church), we seek to glorify and honour God in all we do. Jesus Christ left us in no doubt as to our primary task in this world. 'And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”' (Matthew 28:18-20)
In the first place, our ministry is to win the lost to Christ. We seek to take the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ to all the world, both near and far. Secondly, to teach those that are saved to observe all things that have been commanded us in the Word of God. To observe all He has commanded means we must both know and apply the Word of God in our lives. The preaching and teaching of God’s Word takes a central place in the ministries of our church.
It is the goal of our church to minister to the needs of the whole family. In a day when the family is under attack more than ever, it is vital for us as a church to do all we can to help build strong God-centred homes. Though we aim to have ministries that meet the needs of men, women, and children individually, in their various roles, at all ages of life - all of our main meetings for worship and prayer are family oriented so that the whole family can worship, learn, grow, serve, and pray together. We also encourage families to participate together in the outreach ministries of our church as much as possible. Following is a list of our regularly scheduled ministries. Other ministries will take place periodically through the year and will be announced in advance.
- Family & Adult
- Worship: We meet together twice on Sunday (11am & 6pm) for the purpose of worship. We seek to glorify God and magnify Christ through God-honouring music and clear, relevant, evangelistic, expositional Bible preaching. We seek to see sinners saved, backsliders restored, Christians built-up, encouraged, and challenged in the faith through the anointed preaching of God’s Word. Our services typically last approximately 1 ½ hours.
Prayer Meeting: Wednesday evenings at 7:30pm we meet together and our focus is on prayer. We sing a couple songs and have a short message from God’s Word for the encouragement of God’s people, but most of our time is spent sharing and praying together. Again, this meeting typically last about 1 ½ hours.
Adult Bible Study: The study of God’s Word, both privately and corporately, is vital for Christian growth and is the responsibility of every Believer. The church has a responsibility to teach God’s Word clearly in a way that can be learned and applied to the Believer’s life. We come together for this purpose at 10:00am every Sunday morning. This is a time for adults to study the Bible together on topics relevant to our day, and for verse by verse exposition of God’s Word. This is designed to see Christians built-up in the faith and able to both know and apply God’s Word to their everyday lives.
Ladies Fellowship & Bible Study: The ladies come together an evening each month for fellowship, prayer and Bible study. This is a profitable time for our ladies as they seek to encourage and build one another up in the faith. Watch the calendar for the dates but it is typically on the 4th Thursday of each month.
Discipleship Classes: For all new Christians and those young in the faith, discipleship in the basics of the Christian faith is very important. These classes are designed to start the new Christian on a solid foundation in some of the basic doctrines of the Bible. These classes are usually done in a one-on-one or small group setting. Ask us for details.
Bus Ministry: The church operates a mini-bus to minister to the needs of those who need transportation to attend God’s house. We use this to bring children to Sunday School and Children’s Church, as well as adults who need transportation for our services.
Annual Faith Promise Mission Conference: The heartbeat of any true New Testament Church must be the winning of lost souls to Christ both at home and around the world. We cannot overstate the importance of this mission before us. To help us as a church honour the last command of our Lord to go into all the world with the Gospel, we have an annual Mission Conference to encourage, challenge, and renew our vision for missions. It is also the time each year that we renew our Faith Promise giving for the cause of missions. See our missions page for further details about our work in missions and meet our missionaries.
Recording Ministry: The sermons in our Sunday services, as well as most special services, are recorded for your use personally or for distribution and are available on the website or from iTunes.
- Young Adult
- Young Adult Bible Study: Our young adults meet for Bible Study, Prayer, and Fellowship. These meetings take place in one of the homes of these young adults. It is also through these meetings that our young adults plan outings together such as meals out, bowling, etc. These meetings are a real encouragement and source of strength for our young people.
Annual Young Adult Conference: This ministry is focused toward those 16-35 years of age. This ministry began in February 2003 and has progressively grown every year since. It is held during the half-term school break in February. For more information and details see our page dedicated to The Sword of the Spirit Bible Conference.
- Children & Youth
- Sunday School: Our Sunday School meets at 10:00 on Sunday mornings and has classes for all ages. We use a curriculum written and printed by Regular Baptist Press. The curriculum systematically takes the students through the Bible, line upon line, precept upon precept. Many adult Christians can trace their salvation back to a Sunday School they attended as a child.
Children’s Church: During our Sunday morning worship service we also have a Children’s Church. This is designed primarily to minister to those children who are not yet ready for regular worship services with the family. It is particularly aimed at those children who attend church without their parents both from our local neighbourhood and via the mini-bus.
Children’s Bible Club: Our Children’s Bible Club takes place the last Sunday of each month from 14:00-16:00. Though it is designed for the children to enjoy themselves through games, crafts, refreshments, etc., the Bible time is very evangelistic as we seek to win these youngsters to Christ.
Holiday Bible Club (VBS): During the summer school break we seek to have a week long Holiday Bible Club/Vacation Bible School to minister to the youth of our church and to reach out evangelistically to the children in our neighbourhood. Watch our website for dates and details.
Summer Camp: Through the sacrifices and ministry of a number of Independent Baptist Churches around Britain, we are able to make available both a Junior and Senior Camp each summer for our youth. These camps always see young people coming to Christ and others truly committing their lives to the Lord’s work. Watch our website for dates and details.
- Open-Air Ministry: We take to the open air at least one Saturday each month (usually the 2nd Saturday) to proclaim the good news of the gospel to our city. Our open-air ministry consists of singing, preaching, and generally talking to people on the street about their spiritual needs. We distribute tracts, Bibles, and Christian literature in many different languages, given the multi-cultural, multi-national makeup of our city. We also pass along the gospel through tapes, videos, cd’s and other forms of ministry. We see it as both our solemn responsibility and great privilege to go to the lost around us with the gospel message.
Door-to-door: We are very much an inner-city church, located in the midst of a typical working class community. Though we welcome all those whom the Lord sends us, and have a congregation that comes from all over the city, as well as neighbouring towns and cities; we take our responsibility to our local community seriously. We do door-to-door tract and leaflet distribution at least twice a year and sometimes more. We also go through our neighbourhood every Christmas singing Christmas Carols and witnessing of our Saviour’s birth.
Nursing Home: Nursing Homes are filled with those that need the Saviour, as well as many that just need to know that somebody cares. We have 4 nursing homes we minister in regularly. This usually takes place the 2nd Saturday evening of each month.
Christianity Investigated: "Who is Jesus? Why did Jesus die? How can I be sure of my faith? How can I make the most of the rest of my life?" These are the kind of questions that many around us are asking, and we as a church need to be answering. Christianity Investigated answers these questions and many more. It is a 5 week course for everyone, especially: Those wanting to investigate Christianity; Newcomers to the church; New Christians; Those who want to brush up on the basics; Or even those that just want to be blessed by reviewing some of the most life-changing truths in all the world. The course is designed to challenge the mind and heart in a relaxed, non-threatening setting, and attract those who would be reluctant to attend a regular church service. It will be held periodically, usually on 5 Wednesday evenings running, and will be advertised as to dates, including here on our website.